Friday, March 18, 2011

Having a heart to heart with God

I am SO SO excited to share with you today! God has been showing me things this week that I am so excited about!

Today as I got my devotional out I came across this:

God's light shines on every situation you will ever face. Live radiantly by expanding your focus to include God in all your moments. Let nothing dampen your search for God.


Let me share a few verses that God has been bringing to my attention this week:

In Psalm 119


Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found. Vs: 35


Turn my eyes from worthless things, and give me life through your word. Vs: 37


Help me abandon my shameful ways; your laws are all I want in life. Vs: 39


Your Promise revives me; it comforts me in all my troubles. Vs: 50


If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me. Jeremiah 29: 13


If you only knew how much I have been struggling with trying to fill my days with stupid entertainment like Facebook etc. etc. And if you only knew how little happiness these things brought me then you would see just how amazing God is for sharing these verses with me!

After I read the inspirational quote (what I started out with) I wrote this in my journal:

I'm sensing a theme here God. Ugh I know I've been so distracted lately. Maybe a little depressed and angry too. But you keep pulling me back and saying, "Abbey, you yourself have often asked how important are certain things in  this life compared to Heaven. And though you asked that more out of laziness than anything else, you were right. What compared to Me and Heaven is more important?" And I know the answer is nothing! Not even temporary happiness or pleasure compare to you God. I struggle so much with wanting to have fun, or wanting to get stuff done. I don't keep my eyes on God. Even as I write this I start to wander about dinner plans etc.

I love how God tugs at my heart and says, "Hey I know you're having a hard day and that you think some TV will make you happy, but I know about something that will turn your life around and make you joyful! Doesn't that sound better!?" God's word is how God speaks to me. He and the Holy Spirit guide me to see His truth, and to help me get the answers that I need.

I didn't go searching for these verses this week. God placed them in front of me to show me that I struggle with, setting my eyes on temporary fixes, not on the eternal fix. I just love how God reaches out to me. Just try and tell me my God is dead or non-existent! I have heard God speak in my heart, and His voice is the most wonderful sound that I have every heard! :) 

My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming." 
Psalm 27:8

No comments:

Post a Comment