Thursday, February 24, 2011

Nothing much... wait what am I saying!!!

When I first decided to start this blog I made myself promise that I would never allow myself to be fishing for something to say. Instead I want to write only when I Really have something to say!

Having that said, I was doing my devotion on prayer* today  and one of the verses that was in todays reading was Hebrews 4:12. Before I go onto what that was let me share with you real quick my thought process on this. As I read the verse and wrote it in my journal I thought, "wow this is a pretty good verse!" It had me thinking. As I went on to write down my observation of the verse and a way to apply it in my life** I started wondering if I should write this on the blog. I asked myself, "Is this truly worthy of being on the blog, or am I just using it as a reason to write today?" Because like I said I don't want to just be writing to see my own words! I can't stress this enough! None of what I say is me saying "Wow look what I found," or "Look at what I came up with!" Instead I want you to read this and say, "Wow look at what God is showing this girl!" So there I was wondering if this was worth posting about... and then I hit myself on the forehead and said, "Abbey! This is God's word and it is speaking into your very soul in a VERY real way! Of course this is worth it!"

So anyways (I told you I'm a bit scatterbrained and long winded! I get it from my dad :) Hebrews 4:12 says:
For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. (NLT) 


                                                                Or a more literal translation
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (NKJV)


First thing that struck me is, THE WORD OF GOD IS LIVING AND POWERFUL!!! Woo Whoo!!! It's not some boring old history book people! It's living and powerful! But honestly this isn't what really got me thinking. What really got me thinking was as the NLT says, "It exposes us for what we really are." When I read that I thought, wow that sounds really scary! Why on earth would anyone want to be fully exposed for what they truly are?  Wouldn't people just rather live an ignorant life and not know how sinful and awful they are? And to be honest that's exactly how I lived for the last 20 years. I always came up with excuses like, "I don't like reading the Bible because it's so BORING!" or  "Eh the Bible wont really help me." But in all honesty I was afraid that I would see just how sinful I was, and even worse, I would realize I had to change. But you know what? Now as I dig into God's word and see all the Hope and Love that has been etched into it I realize this isn't a death sentence! The Bible isn't tying my down to dreaded rules! NO! God's word is freeing me!! I'm no longer tied down by sin! Yes I still struggle with sin, but now I know it IS sin and God is willing to help me break free from it! No longer do I have to cry out, "Why am I like this! Why do I do the things I do!?" Because I know it is sin which drives my life and emotions into the ground! And I have Jesus Christ on my side rooting for me to break free from it. Not only that but I have God's handy dandy survival guide right at my finger tips! Following God's "rules" is the most freeing thing I have ever done in my life!


Thank you Heavenly Father for the most amazing gifts, your son and your word! With them my life on this earth is complete! Life will be hard, but I have built my foundation on you and even through the toughest storms I will not be moved because you are my rock and my fortress! Thank you, thank you, thank you!


Well everyone I pray that God reaches your heart in some real way through this! Have a safe weekend! More snow YUCK! Oh well there's a reason :)


Much love,
Abbey






*By Wendy Blight if anyone is interested. It's awesome! Her website is wendyblight.com
** This is called the S.O.A.P. method and will more than likely be explained in my next post

No comments:

Post a Comment